Vegetable Pakoras Recipe
- Large mixing bowl
- Heavy based frying pan
- 250 g gram flour
- 50 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 300 g potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 300 g onions, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 10 spinach leaves, finely chopped
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- sunflower oil for deep frying
- 1 tsp salt
Mix the gram flour and the self-raising flour in a large bowl, then add the chilli powder, garam masala and stir well to combine.
Next add the lemon juice, then gradually add enough water to form a smooth batter that is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Put aside for 10-15 minutes.
Add all of the remaining ingredients except the sunflower oil to the batter mixture and mix well to coat the potatoes and onions.
Heat the oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan. When the oil is hot, carefully lower tablespoons of the batter mixture in batches into the oil and fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the pakoras are crisp and golden-brown and the vegetables have cooked through.