1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 clove crushed garlic
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
4 slices of Italian bread cut 1/2 inch thick
salt & pepper to taste
1. Finely chop the tomato and onion.
2. In a bowl mix the tomato, onion, garlic, basil, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place the slices of Italian bread in a broiler or toaster oven until lightly browned. Remove and brush the remaining olive oil on one side of the bread.
4. Place the bread back in the broiler or toaster oven until the bread becomes crisp and crunchy. Remove and add the tomato mixture on top of each slice.
5. Serve either warm or cold.