Sweet Potato and Garlic Soup
- Oven tray
- Large deep pan
- Hand blender
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into small chunks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 litre vegetable stock
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- pinch of caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- creme fresh (optional)
- fresh torn basil or coriander leaves (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 225f. Put the sweet potato chunks on an oven tray and drizzle lightly with the olive oil. Peel the two cloves of garlic and add to tray. With your fingers, toss the potatoes in the oil and sprinkle caraway seeds over the potatoes, cook in the oven for around 20-25 mins or until potatoes are tender
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, put the vegetable stock into a large pan and add the onions, simmer for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave.
- When the potatoes are cooked allow them to cool for 5 minutes. If you want a texture free soup, remove and discard the skins, otherwise leave on for a richer taste. Put the potatoes and roasted garlic into the pan of stock and onion and using a hand blender, blend until smooth. If you want a thinner soup, add extra water now and stir in until required consistency is reached.
- Return the pan to the heat and slowly heat until simmering. Serve with a dollop of creme fresh and a couple of basil / coriander leaves (optional). Serve and enjoy!
No need to add salt as garlic provides natural seasoning so very healthy! Keeps in the fridge for about 2 days and one bowl will keep you full for hours! Also pretty low in fat if you exclude the creme fresh (which adds a nice contrast to the sweetness of the potatoes).
Photo Credit : Galant