Creme Caramel Recipe
For the caramel – 100g (3 1/2oz) superfine caster sugar
650ml (22fl oz) milk
1 vanilla pod
125g (4 1/2 oz) superfine caster sugar
3 eggs (beaten)
3 egg yolks
1. To make the caramel, put the sugar into a heavy based pan and heat it until it dissolves and starts to caramelize. Move the pan from side to side as the sugar cooks to keep the colouring even. Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons of water (this stops the cooking process). Pour into 6 ramekins and leave to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4).
3. Put the milk and vanilla pod in a pan and bring to the boil.
4. Mix together the sugar, egg and egg yolks.
5. Strain the boiling milk over the egg mixture and stir.
6. Spoon or ladle into the ramekins and place in a large roasting tin. Pour enough hot water into the tin to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cook for around 35 minutes or until they are firm to touch.
7. Remove the ramekins from the roasting tin and leave for at least 15 minutes. Unmold onto side plates and pour any leftover caramel on top.
8. For that extra touch you can always add a few berries on the side.