Beef Lasagne Recipe
450g (1lb) lean minced beef
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 chopped onions
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 carrot (chopped finely)
400g (14oz) can tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
300ml (1/2 pint) beef stock
12 sheets oven ready egg lasagne
50g (2oz) grated Parmesan cheese
75g (3oz) butter
75g (3oz) plain flour
800ml (1 1/2 pints) fresh milk
50g (2oz) grated Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Grease a 3 litre (5 pint) ovenproof dish.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and fry the onions, garlic and carrot for 5 minutes. Add beef mince and fry for around 4 minutes until the mince is brown.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Season with a little salt and pepper. Simmer for around 30 minutes.
4. In a saucepan melt the butter, then add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk. Place back on the heat and bring to the boil, stirring until the sauce has thickened. Season and add the grated Cheddar cheese.
5. Put 4 lasagne sheets in the dish, cover with half of the meat sauce then a third of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers, finishing with lasagne, cheese sauce and Parmesan. Bake for 45 minutes until nice and golden.